This Yoga Is Hot, Quite Literally!
Hot yoga, a new trend that is fast catching up across the world and resorted to by even celebrities such as Madonna, is touted to be the one of the most powerful and effective ways to burn body fat quickly. Developed originally by yoga guru Bikram Choudhury as ‘Bikram Hot Yoga’ derived from the traditional Indian haath yoga. It is now practised in various forms such as Forrest Yoga, TriBalance Yoga and Power Yoga. Find out what makes Bikram Hot Yoga the hottest yoga workout!
- Generally practised in a room at temperatures between 40 °C with 40% to 60% humidity, each session usually lasts for 90 minutes and comprises 26 postures with 2 different breathing techniques.
- The 26 postures, which include simple and popular asanas such as Bhujangasana (Cobra Pose), Tadasana (Tree Pose), Garudasana (Eagle Pose), Savasana (Corpse Pose), Dhanurasana (Bow Pose), Salabhasana (Locust Pose), Purnasalabhasana (Full Locust Pose) and Pranayama (breathing exercises), are practised in hot and humid conditions, so that the person sweats more and loses more water weight.
- Besides burning more fat, Bikram Yoga is also helpful in improving blood circulation, strength and flexibility, since the heat enables a person to stretch more, while keeping soreness and injury at bay.
- The heat also ensures that you focus more on what you are doing, so that your attention and concentration improve and you perform better outside the yoga class as well.
- It gives you clear and smooth skin, since sweating opens up your skin pores and allows it to breathe better.
- The long duration of the session, i.e. 90 minutes, also helps the body release a greater amount of feel-good chemicals called endorphins, which drives away stress and keeps you calm, confident and cheerful.
- Breathing, which is an essential part of yoga, is given more attention and importance during Bikram yoga, which enables you to breathe better and clears congestion and prevents common colds, coughs and asthma.
- Bikram hot yoga also keeps other illnesses away, including depression, high blood pressure, diabetes, obesity and arthritis.
- It is a wonderful cardio workout since a single session burns about 1000 calories and boosts your metabolism rate greatly which ensures you are constantly burning calories even after the session!
Read Also: Samkhya Yoga: The Path to Liberation