8 foods to elevate your mood instantly
Erratic moods, low moods, lethargy – no matter what is dampening your spirits, the fact of the matter is, it results in a loss of productivity, which consequently leads to stress. Your best friend to turn to in such times is – FOOD. There’s a reason why stressed is desserts spelt backwards. That’s because certain foods have properties to change your mood and get you right back on track. They help reduce stress levels and mood fluctuations, so that you are raring to go in a matter of few minutes. Here are 8 mood foods which will refresh your mood quickly, the only side effect being – GOOD MOOD
- Dark chocolate: Dark chocolate is known to be a great stress buster due to its ability to reduce cortisol, a stress hormone that leaves you feeling down in the dumps. Consuming 1.4 ounces of dark chocolate is not only good for your heart, but also makes you feel cheerful and ready to take on the world.
- Fruits: Simply consuming a bowl of fruits is one of the best ways to uplift your mood. Most fruits, especially bananas, oranges and berries will pep you up in jiffy due to their high Vitamin levels.
- Vegetables: Like fruits, vegetables are also rich in nutrients which can alleviate your stress and make you feel re-energised. Spinach, broccoli, Swiss chard, blue potatoes, asparagus, cherry tomatoes and beans are some of the best veggies to consume to get rid of those blues and raise your energy and productivity levels.
- Fish: Omega-3 fatty acids are a great mood uplifter. Have fatty fish such as salmon, sardines, shrimp, tuna, croaker, haddock, and such to get adequate amounts of Omega-3 into your system and see the wonders it work.
- Saffron: Saffron is an ancient spice that was used by Persians to improve mental health and eliminate depression. It helps release serotonin, a neurotransmitter which induces a feeling of positivity and happiness.
- Tea: Tea is known to possess several medicinal properties, which makes it a perfect drink to refresh oneself. Besides boosting one’s immunity, its high theanine content increases your serotonin levels. So whenever you feel low, just grab a cuppa tea!
- Popcorn: We all love popcorn, especially to munch on while watching a movie. But did you know popcorn also serves to do away with depression?! Air-popped corn is rich in tryptophan, an amino acid, which helps our body release serotonin, and reduce anxiety and stress.
- Greek yoghurt: The high calcium content in Greek yoghurt helps our body release serotonin.
This bowl of probiotic food also builds immunity and strengthens the bones. Have it regularly as a mid-day snack and enjoy its many benefits, without any guilt!