Why Small Things Are Important In Life?
In the words of Khalil Gibran,
“In the sweetness of friendship let there be laughter, and sharing of pleasure. For in the due of little things the heart finds its morning and is refreshed.”
Often man forgets in his mad rat-race for luxury that the ultimate goal of life is happiness. For getting the ‘Big’, he ignores the ‘Small’. The small things like a newborn’s first chuckle or the tiny dew drops on a rose petal are those small but significant things which when felt deeply can change the course of your life. But unfortunately, these things are ignored.
We should not stop dreaming big but the thing is we should not stop enjoying the small. ‘Minute Vacations’ are any day better than annual vacations. We call them ‘minute vacations’ because you can take them anytime, anywhere! If you take a long trek from office to home and suddenly you see the red and mellow sunset with its silhouette in the river shining like a thousand fire-flies, a warm feeling will enter your heart and you will feel a bit fresh with the scenery. This is your minute vacation.
5 things you get from enjoying small things in life:
- Positivity: Appreciating small things will help you have a positive aura, which in turn will increase your efficiency. Smile at a stranger, help an old-man to cross the road, guide a tourist, etc. can work miracles in your daily life.
- Encouragement: If you make huge goals with ambitious deadlines, it might be possible that you fail. But if, you make several small goals within that time-frame, you may easily accomplish the task. This brings encouragement to your life. Confidence is the most important pre-requisite of an endeavour.
- Love: Most common reason for heartbreaks is expectations. In any kind of relationship, patience and satisfaction are very important. One day at a time should be taken rather than long term goals. No one knows the future so we should try to live in the present and appreciate the small gestures of the people we love. Be it a parent-kid relationship, be it a romantic relation or be it siblings. The more you will put on the burden of your relationship goals and the grander you would want it to be, the brittle it would become.
- Moments: The first rainbow of the season, puppies playing, Buy 1 Get 1 free offer on your favourite pizza, a nice movie with your BFF with a bucket of ice-cream, etc. are those moments which takes you away from your worries for a while. Life without these would be unbearable, trust us!
- The Big Picture: Finally the big picture. These aforementioned events will not bring any great change gradually. But after many years, when you will sit comfortably in your arm chair feeling nostalgic, you will be grateful for that sunset which gave you the reassurance to endure that hell-job the next day!
“It’s the little details that are vital. Little things make big things happen.” – John Wooden